Wednesday, July 30, 2008

It's Conference Time and planning time

I am so excited it is time for the 2008 First Annual Heart of the Matter Online Homeschool Virtual Conference. I am excited because the topics look amazing and I get to actually discuss issues with fellow homeschooling moms.

Which I really need right now, because we are under attack. It is a long story but the short version is I am planning our school year and this year we decided to pray as we plan. Because last year we were so excited about homeschooling we signed up for just about everything and were constantly running around. Which left the house was in shambles, a lot of junk food consumed, no real homeschool budget and meeting some groups that did not add to our family value system. Therefore, this year we are seeking a simple God lead plan for our life and school. It is remarkably liberating.

Additionally our family did and does not support our decision to homeschool but have become more vocal this year. In the last week alone I have received, several phone calls and emails (apparently we were the topic of a group discussion) pleading for me not to homeschool. New homeschoolers this
will happen but I have found that my energy is best spent on doing what I know I need to do, rather than spending time justifying others fears.

As homeschooler must remember that you are on a mission, a calling to take part of a wonderful journey. You set the tone, your attitude sets the stage for learning.

I will not fill my life or blog with negativity, because that's not how I want to live my life.

To borrow a phrase from Randy Pausch, a computer science professor whose "Last Lecture" has inspired millions. You just have to decide if you’re going to be a Tigger or an Eeyore.

Woohooo! I am off to a the conference.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You have my support and prayers as you prepare for your next homeschool year. {{{HUGS}}}
Ann

daniele @ domestic serenity said...

My support is with you too! My family was the same way and now they advocate FOR us. I like your attitude of focusing on what you need to do instead of justifying. God bless!

Tracey said...

Welcome to homescooling! Sounds like you started your first year like many of us. INTO EVERYTHING. But like most of us who have done this for while, you've alredy realized that with the multitude of options comes lots of time and money spent and many things lacking at home.

Another temptation to new homeschoolers is to try one curriculum this year and another the next. In a few years you will have almost tried them all and finished nothing; only to say hey wait a minute, I gotta simplify and do what works for me.

Focus on your family goals and your children's needs. Ignore the voices of opposition, and listen to the voice of God that lead you down this path.