Roast Chicken with Sweet Potatoes, Onions and Garlic
· 1 3 to 4 pound frying chicken. (It’s easier to roast a fryer, and they have less fat on them overall.)
· 1 apple, cut in four pieces
· The juice of one lemon
· 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut in 1-inch pieces
· 1 large red onion, cut in 1-inch pieces
· 6 cloves garlic, peeled
· extra virgin olive oil
· Salt and Pepper to taste
· Liberally season both the inside and outside of the chicken with salt and pepper. Place the apple slices inside the body cavity of the chicken and pour the lemon juice inside as well. Place chicken in the center of a baking sheet that has a cooling rack placed right-side up in the pan.
· Toss the potatoes, onions and garlic in a bowl with a few tablespoons of olive oil, some salt, pepper and a bit of nutmeg if desired. Arrange around chicken on baking sheet. Pour any remaining olive oil over the chicken.
· Insert a probe thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken thigh, making sure the probe is not touching any bones. (I generally slide the probe all the way through the bottom of the breast and into the thigh; just to be sure I’ve got the tip in the right spot.)
· Place chicken and vegetables in a 350° F oven and cook until the internal temperature of the chicken has reached 155 degrees. (You may have to peek in on the veggies. If they look like they’re over-roasting, turn once.) Remove chicken from oven and cover loosely with two layers of aluminum foil. Allow to rest until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (Approximately 15 minutes)
Gluten Free Southern Corn Bread Dressing
To prepare: Preheat oven 350 F. Makes about 8 cups; 12 servings
· ½ cup (1 stick) butter
· ½ cup chopped onion
· 1 cups chopped celery
· ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
· 1 teaspoon rubbed or ground sage, or to taste
· 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried thyme
· ¼ teaspoon rosemary seasoning
· ½ teaspoon ground black or white pepper
· ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
· 5 cups crumbled Bob Mills Gluten Free Corn Bread mix
· 3 large eggs, slightly beaten• 1 ½ to 2 cups Chicken Broth
Heat oven to 3500 F. In large skillet, melt butter; add onions and celery. Over low heat sauté until tender (but not mushy), about 8 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in parsley, sage, thyme, pepper and salt (if desired). In large bowl add crumbled corn bread and vegetable mixture. Stir in eggs and 1 ½ cups of broth. If mixture seems dry, add remaining ½ cup of broth. Taste and if necessary, adjust seasonings
To cook inside turkey: Spoon dressing into body cavity (do not pack); spoon any additional dressing into neck cavity and/or buttered baking dish.
To bake dressing separately: Spoon into large greased baking dish; cover loosely. To cook along with turkey, add to oven during the last 30 to 40 minutes roasting time..