Wednesday, August 4, 2010

2010-2011 Homeschool Curriculum HOP

Thanks to the good folks at Heart of the Matter for hosting Not Back To School Blog Hop. This always helps me organize my thoughts and plans.

Not Back to School Blog Hop

So here we go……………….

We are introducing new math, grammar, spelling and History program this year. Also we are going to start to focus on more home education and a little less roadschooling.


This is our planned curriculum for homeschool for 2010-2011 2nd/3rd Grade Years:

Core: Five In A Row
Our primary curriculum will be Five In A Row Volume 4. I wanted to move to Winter’s Promise for a theme program because I simply didn’t have time to plan, print and organize FIAR this year. But after going to the local homeschool conference I realized that FIAR can work for us just modified. In the seminar about gifted children the speaker did warn changing everything from year to year. After the BIG MOVE last year where his whole world changed, I think we need to limit the amount of changes this year.

After much prayer we thought it best to leave the spine of FIAR but altered it to fit our needs. FIAR has a bible curriculum which I will be using and adding lapbook elements for scripture.

Grammar
Introducing Grammar with Winter’s Promise Language Arts curriculum and living books from the series “If you were” .



Mathematics
We are excited to start Right Start Math this year. The box arrived last week and we can’t wait to get our hands on the manipulatives.

History
This will be our first year of formal history study using the Story of The World program Volume I, Ancient Times. It covers history from the First Nomads, Egypt, the Jewish People, Abraham and Joseph, Hammurabi and the Babylonians, the Assyrians, Ancient China, Ancient Africa, Exodus, the Phoenicians, the Greeks and Rome.



Physical Education
We are enrolled in a Homeschool Physical Education co-op class, basketball class, swimming and martial arts.

Art
We are enrolled in a local co-op class and visiting museum exhibits throughout the year.

Music/Drama
We are enrolled in a local co-op class and taking part of in free concert/play venues in the area. The search is still on for individual instruction but we do have an at home drum program.

Science
We are enrolled in a accelerated local co-op class and visiting museum exhibits throughout the year.

I am so excited!!!!!!


You can read more curriculum plans and add yours at the Not Back to School Blog Hop.






13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your line up look great! Co-op sounds like it's going to be fun. Hope you have a fantastic year!

Wendi said...

I love the grammar books! I have wavered between using WinterPromise and Sonlight...we have ended up with Sonlight, but I love using my WP catalog for book suggestions :)

Savannah said...

I loved reading through your plans. I imagine a very happy, fun-filled homeschool and busy little hands as I read it. We love SOTW, although I don't use the Activity book. We've been notebooking/ lapbooking with it, and having a great time. My MP4 player is my best homeschool friend as it allows me to record my little one's narrations without having to say repeatedly, "Stop! Wait a minute...now begin..."


Thanks for coming to visit me on today. God bless you!

Amanda American Girl said...

We are also doing 2nd grade this year. Have a marvelous new school year.

April said...

I'm looking forward to starting History of the World in a few years. Wow, I am so inspired by your picks and plans! And thank you for encouraging me by stopping by M3RH!

Anonymous said...

We're also beginning our 3rd year and it's 2nd grade. You sound like us with all the new curricula. Those grammar books have piqued my interest. Enjoy your year!

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

Looks like a wonderful plan. I never used FIAR, but have heard wonderful things, and I think it could be a lot like WinterPromise.

Amy said...

Looks like a fun year. We have done SOTW. I always enjoy the beginning of a school.

I am off to check some of your books listed on the side bar!

Amy @ Missional Mama

Gina said...

We're using SOTW, too. My girls have already started the history of our family and are loving it. They've asked every single day, "Can we do history today?!" LOL Sounds like you have a good plan. We're using Shurley English for grammar. Saxon for math (our last year for Saxon, I'd imagine). I'm starting to review Latin curriculum for next year. Yikes! :)

Cheryl Pitt said...

I've heard great things about Five in a Row, but haven't had the chance to try it out myself. I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for stopping by :)

Tracey said...

Got a great co-op line up. sounds like its going to be a good year.

Nicole said...

Looks like lots of fun. We absolutely love RightStart!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Sarah said...

We also use Five in a Row, RightStart Math, and Story of the World. We love them all. Hope you have a great year!