Thursday, April 10, 2008

Detour Ahead


Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!
We interrupt the regularly scheduled Homeschool lesson plan for a classic children’s book.

This week we were to complete our unit on “Planting a Rainbow” and merge into “Eating a Rainbow”. TS has limited his menu lately to “what doesn’t smell stinky”, so I was creatively trying to broaden his horizons and introduce the food pyramid. Plans changed after attending a local storytime where he discovered
Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel by Virginia Lee Burton.

He was so excited about the book that he begged to go to the library before dinner to check it out for his bedtime story. He could not stop talking about it all day. I shared with him how my mother read this story to me as a child. He called her and they talked for an hour about the details of the story. TS and the hubby were also engrossed in this story. It was a beautiful thing to watch them share memories and create new ones.

When you see this level of enthusiasm for a story as a homeschool mom you are torn. Should I just let him just enjoy reading it? On the other hand, do I turn it into a unit study? I opted to just let him enjoy it.

Mike and Mary Ann had other plans. All week Mike and Mary Ann crept into every lesson.

Math- “Mary Ann could dig as much as 100 men in a day. That’s 10 plus 10 plus…”

Art- Black mounds…Mary Ann’s dirt

Science- “I bet Mary Ann could dig these flowers up really fast.”

Okay googling unit study and if I am adventurous a lapbook. Awwwwwwwwwww

No comments: